KHS SCEPTER

Fascinated by the Fantastic

Anagha Hesaraghatta, Production Manager

J.K. Rowling brings us back to another heart-pumping story of the Wizarding World that captivates all viewers’ hearts. “The Crimes of Grindelwald” picks up right where “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” left off in Europe in the mid-1920s. Filled with fantastic creatures, intriguing locations, grim flashbacks, and charming characters, Rowling creates a new story of excitement and absorbing.
While the movie is a great piece of work overall, many elements are not thoroughly developed or explained. The movie tells the story of Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne), a magizoologist, who studies and rescues magical creatures in his suitcase. Multiple plot lines unfold throughout the movie: one is dominated by Grindelwald, an evil wizard who hopes that purebloods will have a chance to dominate. Cultural history also seeps into the story as mentions of death and the war seep into the story.
While most characters such as Newt Scamander and Tina Goldstein (Katherine Waterson) are back, many new characters emerge as important parts of the plot, but none are thoroughly developed.
Overall, of course, Rowling showcases her masterful story telling through the movie. The visual effects and plot are definitely thrilling and charming, contributing to the overall beauty of the story. The movie brings together multiple plots and aims at tying up the multiple story lines present within the plot. We only learn of a part of the whole story as we journey through Leta Lestrange’s (Zoë Kravitz) story. As the plot lines seemingly connect by the end, we are left with only a small answer to the many questions that the movie leaves us with.
The movie does, however, tighten its grip on the audience when the plot shifts to Hogwarts as we await the new stories and connections that are to come.

About the Writer
Anagha Hesaraghatta, Production Manager

Hesaraghatta is in her senior year of IB at King High School. This is her first year on staff. Writing stories is one of her favorite hobbies.