KHS SCEPTER

Lions Give Back to the Community in Winter

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anagha Hesaraghatta, Production Manager

Every year, the lions at King High School make it a point to give back to their community. From bringing in canned goods to bringing in school supplies, the lions work hard to support the community that surrounds them.
Each club participating in Winter Wonderland on Dec. 7 brought in school supplies to help the elementary school students at Robles Elementary School and Temple Terrace Elementary School. Clubs also organize fun activities to keep the students engaged.

“I always chaperone a group of children. But it’s really cute. They’re all really cute and tiny and energetic,” senior Valentina Perez said. From decorating cookies to coloring pictures, each club is involved with giving back to the younger students in the community.
“Playing games with them, learning their names as they get excited about the different activities, giving them prizes, decorating cookies, it’s a lot of fun. Winter Wonderland is an experience that I’ve been able to participate in every year and I have always enjoyed it,” senior Sushmita Saji said.
As a part of the Thanksgiving food drive, each homeroom was encouraged to help out Elegant Ladies of King and Elite Men of Tomorrow by bringing in canned food to support
the community. Not only do students feel a sense of satisfaction for giving back, they are also rewarded with donuts for the homeroom in each grade level with the highest number of canned goods. The homeroom with the highest number of canned goods in the whole school is awarded with a pizza party! This year, the lions have brought in over 400 canned goods for the community!
Another way the lions help their community is by supporting the veterans. Every year, around Veteran’s Day, students are encouraged to help the veterans by bringing in any spare change they may have. King High School’s American Red Cross club creates cards for the veterans every year for both Veterans Day and for the winter holidays.

“I was very happy and gifted to provide my greeting to a hero that helped protect the nation…They must be remembered forever,” senior Prakash Vasanthakumar said.
“Without veterans, we cannot fearlessly walk outside. Yet they do not expect anything in return. It brought everyone in the club together regardless of race, gender, IB or traditional and so forth,” senior Padma Vasanthakumar said.
Since many veterans do not have much family who they can rely on, the students at King High School make an effort to support out veterans who have done so much for the community! In this time of year, the lions are fully engaged in the spirit of giving back to their communities.

About the Writer
Anagha Hesaraghatta, Production Manager

Hesaraghatta is in her senior year of IB at King High School. This is her first year on staff. Writing stories is one of her favorite hobbies.