KHS SCEPTER

Spreading Literacy in the Community

Isha Harshe, Editor-in-Chief

Interact is a service club at King High School that lends a helping hand to the community.

Recently, Interact hosted a “Literacy Night” at Lewis Elementary to help students become better readers and writers.

On Oct. 23, Interact members went to Lewis Elementary and set up activities for the kids to do. In the spirit of Halloween and the fall season, all of the activities were festive-themed.

Lions told stories using muffin pans and plastic spiders.

They also had craft activities for the kids to do using pipe cleaners.

The elementary school kids used also made paper cubes and the Interact members guided the students on how to make each of the boxes.

Above, Senior Holly Smith helps a Lewis Elementary student make a paper cube.

Interact members read aloud stories to the elementary school kids and also passed out candies. Some kids even dressed up in costumes for the night.

Spreading literacy is a very important job in our community. In a growing, fast-paced world students need to be able to efficiently and effectively read and write in order to become successful and pursue the career of their dreams. By helping kids to learn and appreciate reading, Interact members are forging a promising future for the local kids. The lion community is proud to have such supportive students among themselves.

About the Writer
Isha Harshe, Editor-in-Chief

Isha Harshe is the current Editor-in-Chief of the Scepter school newspaper. She is in her senior year in the IB program and this her third year on staff. She enjoys running both cross country and track at King, and loves to paint. Harshe is also the president of the Quill and Scroll Journalism Honor Society and the vice-president of HOSA at King High School.