KHS SCEPTER

Getting into College: College Admissions 101

Anagha Hesaraghatta, Production Manager

College admissions are not as competitive as it may seem. Most colleges accept about 75 percent of their applicants, while only some colleges accept less than 25 percent of applicants. While it is always important to focus on grades and schoolwork, most colleges look for well-rounded students, so make sure you are involved in a few extracurricular activities that are meaningful to you. Additionally, you should look at a college that fits your needs rather than how famous or well-ranked it is. Make sure to meet up with your guidance counselor to ask for help or advice in the process. You are not in this alone!

Grades and coursework definitely play a role in the admissions process. Colleges DO look at your transcript to see the kinds of courses you have taken and how well you have done in them. However, most colleges also place emphasis on character such as leadership, a willingness to take risks, service to the community, special abilities, and a sense of social responsibility. Extracurriculars are important for showing what you do outside of school and how it affects your life. Colleges look to see that you have learned something from these activities and that they are meaningful experiences, rather than the number of activities. That is why you should choose activities that are truly meaningful because there is no “right” extracurricular or club. However, it is not enough to just say “I am in ____________.” If you join a club or activity, make sure you have some experience that you can share with colleges as to what you have done, to show that the experience was meaningful and that you put in time and effort for that activity.

Mesha Stubbs, the College and Career Counselor, is open to giving advice and aid for students applying to college. Stubbs gives the following general tips:

• Pay attention to application deadlines
  • Apply for as many scholarships as possible since there is lots of free money out there
  • Apply for financial aid (FAFSA), even if they don’t think they would qualify
  • Establish a good relationship with their counselor
  • Take the SAT and/or ACT (schools accept either)
  • Research the colleges/universities they are interested in and pay attention to the requirements
  • Take rigorous, challenging courses and maintain good grades (preferably A’s and B’s)
  • Become involved in extracurricular activities (inside or outside of school)
  • Visit the college and career counselor.
  • Visit the colleges/ universities they are interested in (students can do virtual tours as well).

While selective schools look for many things, they look for the same things as other colleges: character, grades, and coursework. They look for students who can help build up their campuses and students who can add something to their campus. Most importantly though, remember that you can do it!

About the Writer
Anagha Hesaraghatta, Production Manager

Hesaraghatta is in her senior year of IB at King High School. This is her first year on staff. Writing stories is one of her favorite hobbies.