KHS SCEPTER

Deciding on Which Club to Join? Check out a list of clubs here!

It can be overwhelming to decide which clubs to join at the beginning of the year. That is why the Scepter staff has compiled a list of some clubs and their information so you can peruse them at your leisure.

Speech and Debate: Speech and Debate is a national association that encompasses communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creative skills. It is divided into eight categories, each which hones in on a particular subject area, whether it be a current event topic or an improvised speech. The picture below gives a brief description of each category, along with practice times and location. If you have any questions, see Ms. Lucas in room 115, or any of the captains. Dues are $45 and are due on Sept. 12. Turn in to Nafisa Uddin or Ms. Lucas. Complete this application to join.

Health Occupational Students of America (HOSA):  HOSA is a club where you learn more about the world of health and medicine. You can participate in various competitions which teach you about health careers and issues in our world today. We attend competitions at the regional, state, and national level! Conferences are very exciting and fun, and you get to meet many new people and learn new things. If you are interested in the medical field, HOSA is a great club to join! The sponsor is Ms. Lucas in Room 115. Dues are $45 and can be turned in to Isha Harshe, Ansh Bhatt, or Ms. Lucas. Request to join the Edsby group for more information.

Future Business Leaders of America: FBLA is an organization that allows students the opportunity to enrich their professional skills in a competitive setting. Through FBLA, students are able to sharpen skills that will be utlized throughout their life.  You can use this link to join.

Mu Alpha Theta: Mu Alpha Theta is a club which promotes mathematical prowess. The organization offers scholarships and awards for students who excel in math. It is a great opportunity to expand your knowledge of the subject and see how far your skills take you. Practices are after school on Mondays for freshmen, and Thursdays for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. If you have any questions, see Dr. Emil in room 226, or William Li (Mu Alpha Theta president).

Write Now: Write Now is a writing club that encourages you to put your creative thinking to use! Every meeting on club day is structured around a prompt about current events or anything in general, followed by some time for you to write down your ideas. You can share your stories with the rest of the members. Club dues are $5. If you have any questions, see Ms. Prado in room 222.

Science National Honor Society: Science National Honor Society is the perfect club if you like science and competing. The club revolves around the Science Olympiad and Science Bowl, so if you’re interested, make sure to sign up. Club dues are $25. If you have any questions, see Ms. Cline in room 119.

French Honor Society: Interested in unleashing your inner French? French Honor Society is the perfect club for you. This club will not be meeting on the first club day November 10, 2018. If you have any questions, see Ms. Eslick in room 110.

Congres de la Culture Francaise en Floride Club: Bonjour! Do you take French here at King? Or are you a native speaker? Do you enjoy competing? Then why not join the King High School chapter of the Congres de la Culture Francaise en Floride Club?! In this Interest Club, we have a lot of fun preparing for the statewide annual CCFF competition in the spring (this year, March 7-9 (it is an overnight event)). You can choose to participate in a few or just one of several events in the competition (e.g. Declamation (poetry recitation), Lecture (test), Piece de Theatre (a scene from a French play)). During the first semester, there will be few meetings outside of school club days; however, as the day of the competition approaches, after-school meetings and such will become more frequent, as it is hoped that we all are going to be working hard on preparing! Use this link to gain contact information and to sign up.

First-Handed: Hello future engineers, doctors, and entrepreneurs looking for something to spark your career, let us introduce you to Firsthanded. We live in a world where the disabled are impacted in a way that prohibits them from completing simple tasks that we take for granted. Due to seeing these problems in our everyday lives, we established Firsthanded with the purpose to create, design, and construct the solution. Firsthanded is a NGO based around giving the disabled a brand new outlook on life by creating 3D printed prosthetics powered by e-Nable, that are certified by the World Health Organization, where you and a group of friends construct and personally deliver your prosthetic, causing a direct change in their lives impacting them for the years to come. Take the initiative, step into the future of 3D prosthetics and help us provide the service for those who need it. Join our Edsby group @ Firsthanded. Visit this website to learn more about this organization.

Key Club: Interested in Key Club? Don’t forget to join the Key Club Edsby group to stay informed! Key Club is the largest service organization on campus and offers a variety of service opportunities to fulfill your CAS hours and Bright Futures! Become a part of an international service organization that promotes community service and leadership skills.

Gender Sexuality Alliance: If you are interested in joining the GSA (The Gender Sexuality alliance) please feel free to request to join the GSA edsby group. We meet during interest group portions of club days and this year we want to stress the importance of community, togetherness, and learning about humans who may be a little different from you. We hope to receive more allies as well as more of our lgbtq+ friends this year, and want to strive to learn more about each other, ourselves, and how to create a more inclusive, accepting a place of education through love, respect, and cross-cultural interactions. 🙂 To cut it short, we are going for even more inclusion this year, of all types if humans and our lgbtq+ friends, so if you’re interested, request to join the GSA! (Send an edsby message to Ms. Flocken for any questions)

DECA: Visit this website to learn more about DECA. Sign up using this link.

Counting Threads: Counting Threads is a service club that conducts student-run clothing drives. Close to 200 pieces of clothing have been sent to Cuban schools and Indian orphanages. Counting threads allows students to help communities overseas.

e-Sports: Interested in competing in e-Sports competitions in the e-Sports club this year? Colleges are beginning to recognize the value of competitive video games and offer scholarships for your performance in video game competitions. While e-Sports is focusing on being competitive, this club has the option to be more casual and give the opportunity for students to meet other students with similar interests. If you are interested or know someone who is, please fill out the attached form, and see Mr. Stewart for a temporary club pass to attend club day during Interest club period.

Imaginize: If you are a performance artist, thespian, visual artist, or writer, then you should join the club Imaginize. Imaginize is a club for people who are interested in the field of arts to come together and use their talents to benefit their community. This club is an opportunity for you to showcase your talents, collaborate with other artists, and help out your community. This year we have two big showcases planned in which we will have a concert and art gallery, from which all proceeds will go to a specific charity for a particular cause. We are hoping to have more events planned as well! If you are interested in joining, please fill out the attached form  (if you already signed up at club fair, please still fill out the form as well). If you have any questions, please contact Nafisa Uddin at [email protected] Our club sponsor is Dr. Graham.

I.P.R.I.D.E: I.P.R.I.D.E is a new interest club at King High School. It is focused on performances, and possibly music videos. This club is an opportunity for students to meet other students with similar interests. If you are interested or know someone who is, please fill out the attached form. For more details, you can find me (Janani Prasanna) during lunch or message me at 813-404-5040. The sponsor is Mr.Estes.

Toastmasters Gavel Club: If you are interested in leadership and communication skills, practicing for things like IOP’s and other presentations, or trying to be the World Champion of Public Speaking, check out the Toastmasters Gavel Club Edsby group to find out some more information on how to sign up. Toastmasters is an internationally recognized organization built around its members which gives out awards which look great on college apps and for real life job applications. More can be found at the Toastmasters website. We meet on Mondays after school from 2:45 to 4:15, with attendance at a majority (over half) of the meetings necessary to be an active member, so if you’re interested, be sure to join the Edsby group and sign up. If you have any questions, see Ms. Flocken or any of our officers. Join using this form.