KHS SCEPTER

Teaching about the Teachers

Nitin Ramadoss, Staff Writer

When thinking about high school, the thought of friendships and competitions usually come to mind. However, the teachers that guide each student in his or her respective classes are usually disregarded. Teachers are renowned for their curriculums and methods of educating the youth, but their personal lives are never a topic of discussion. What goes on in the shrewd mind of a high school teacher?  In order to answer these interesting questions, an interview was taken with two well-known teachers on campus.

Common questions that students might have were asked to the first teacher.

The first interview took place with Karen Hinnen, the IB Psychology teacher:

Q: “If you had a break from work, how would you spend your free time?”

A: “I would play pickle ball and go shooting with Mr. Mills.”

Q: “If you had a million dollars, what would you buy?”

A: “I would make renovations in my house, update the appliances, and maybe go on a vacation.”

Q: “If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?”

A: “The pyramids in Egypt… to see the antiquities. I like Egyptian history. Also, the Great Wall of China, to see how they built it with no technology. ”

Such interesting aspirations reside in just one of the hundreds of teachers on campus.

The second interview took place with Russell Davison, the IB physics teacher, who was presented with the same questions.

A: “I would play my guitar.”

A: “I would buy a house on the water. Maybe around the ocean or gulfs.”

A: “Alaska…land of the journey. Then, I would ride my motorcycle to the Arctic circle in the summer.”

Clearly, the teachers on campus have very interesting goals. There is a common misconception that teachers are only indulged in school work. Through these interviews, students can see that they are lucky to have such interesting and amazing teachers.

Learning about the teachers can be a journey by connecting with their hobbies and relating to their dreams. Teaching teenagers is not the only thing teachers have in mind. Teaching about the teachers can be just as educational as the teachers teaching you!

About the Writer
Nitin Ramadoss, Business Manager

Ramadoss is currently a senior in the IB program. He is engaged with numerous extracurricular activities: tennis, speech and debate, FBLA, and Science...